16th August 1897: The Tate gallery opens to the public
The gallery was the brainchild of sugar magnate Henry Tate, who offered his art collection to the nation.
In 1894 he persuaded the government to build and run a gallery to house the collection.
A location by the River Thames on the site of the recently demolished Millbank prison was chosen and the gallery was officially opened by the Prince of Wales, later King Edward VII, in July 1897.
The Tate went from strength to strength, expanding onto the site of the disused Queen Alexandra Hospital next door.
In 2000, the Tate was renamed the Tate Britain when a new gallery, the Tate Modern, opened in the old Bankside Power Station on the South Bank.