30th July 1900: 'Twopenny Tube' opens to the public
The line, stretching from Shepherd’s Bush in west London to Bank in central London, had been inaugurated at the end of June by the Prince of Wales, later King Edward VII.
However the railway wasn’t finished at the time and so the general public had to wait another month before it opened.
However, when it did over 800,000 passengers used the line on the first day and its popularity continued, helped by the flat fare of two old pence which quickly gained the line the nickname 'Twopenny Tube'.
Renamed the Central Line in August 1937, a number of extensions between 1908 and 1957 now sees the line calling at stations from Epping in Essex to West Ruislip in Middlesex.